Friday, October 2, 2015

Take Three: Watercolor Memories

This segment of 8 Weeks Out has been sadly neglected and my memories of our activities and adventures have faded into the busy-ness of the summer which has transitioned in the new school year and brought with it all the distraction of a freshman and senior year.

Standing in support of Prima as she arranges her feathers in preparation for her first flight, is fraught with anxiety and anticipation. She is such a brilliantly sparkling person, I cannot imagine her flight falling short of fantastic. At the same time I am filled with parental anxiety at her living outside the boundary of my protection. I know that this is the moment TR and I have been building up to, and now that it is arriving, I am so torn. Of course I want her to fly high and far, I just can't divorce myself from the impulse to be there to catch her. They do grow so quickly.

And that brings my thoughts and concerns to my fabulous freshman. Primo has embarked on his own high school experience and is proving to shine as brightly as his sister. His grades are fine so far and he seems to have found a comfortable place to explore the intricacies of who he is. Lunch out with classmates, teachers he admires and enjoys taking classes with, taking public transportation home everyday, all of these thing seem to filling him with confidence and excitement. We do argue a bit about homework, but not too much. He seems to understand more than ever what's grades mean. I am ever hopeful that he sees them not as an eternal judgement of his character, but as a key to unlocking the doors to his own future. I know I will feel the same as I do about Prima, when it is his turn to go, but I do so want him to stand with a key ring full of keys when he gets to those doors.

My own personal ambitions, achievements and general feelings are much the same as usual, general frustration and confusion at my lack. Lack of everything, except belongings. But now that I am writing about me, my interest is trickling away and i feel the impulse to go do something else. Let me see if I have a photo to end with...

No comments:

Post a Comment